NRL 2021 COVID-19 Sydney Outbreak - Greater Sydney Lockdown

20th December 2020

Just prior to Christmas 2020 an outbreak on the Sydney Northern Beaches, from a Airline staff member, sent greater Sydney into a Covid lockdown once again. Restrictions at sporting events in Sydney had reduced to 25% of stadium capacity and masks compulsary. Queensland have once again closed their borders to Greater Sydney.

NRL 2021 COVID-19 Sydney Outbreak - Borders Re-Open

27th January 2021

Queensland has re-opened its borders to greater Sydney. Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has announced the state's border with NSW will open on February 1, in a decision that the NSW Premier says has come as a relief. It means Greater Sydney will no longer be declared a hotspot and millions of residents across 35 local government areas will be able to enter Queensland from Monday without undergoing mandatory hotel quarantine.

NRL 2021 COVID-19 Sydney Outbreak - NSW Stadiums at 75% capacity

26th February 2021

Restrictions across Greater Sydney had eased and as we entered the start if the NRL pre-season NSW stadiums were able to operate at 75% capacity.

NRL 2021 COVID-19 Sydney Outbreak - NSW Stadiums at 100% capacity

24th March 2021

For the first time in more than 12 months, there will be no COVID-19 restrictions on dancing in NSW after the state government announced a major relaxation of social distancing measures. The overhaul will take effect from 12.01am on March 29 and also means masks will no longer be mandatory on public transport. From Monday:

  • No caps on numbers at weddings and funerals
  • No restrictions on singing anywhere
  • No restrictions on dancing anywhere
  • No cap on visitors in the home (if there are more than 100 people there must be a COVID-19 safety plan and electronic recording of visitor details)
  • 200 people allowed at personal outdoor public gatherings
  • All venues to move to 2sqm rule (venues will be allowed at least 25 people before 2sqm rule applies)
  • 100 per cent seated capacity at entertainment venues (stadiums, theatres etc)
  • Mask use on public transport will move from "mandatory" to "strongly recommended"

    NRL 2021 COVID-19 Brisbane Outbreak - Broncos Relocated

    29th March 2021

    The Broncos relocated to Sydney last week following a COVID-19 outbreak in Brisbane and Byron Bay. The announcement of a snap, three-day lockdown by Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk was followed by Victoria's stance, which requires a permit and 14 days quarantine to be observed to enter the state from 6pm on Monday. Kevin Walters's side flew out of Brisbane to Sydney on a chartered flight at 4pm AEDT, where they will prepare for Friday's grudge match with the Storm. Speaking before the Victorian government's update, NRL head of football Graham Annesley said the clash would go ahead as scheduled at Melbourne's AAMI Park. However, the prospect of shifting the match to Sydney, as part of a Good Friday double header at Stadium Australia after the traditional Bulldogs-Rabbitohs fixture, has also been discussed. The Broncos will based in Sydney after round four regardless of where the Storm game is played given they face South Sydney on Thursday, April 8.

    NRL 2021 COVID-19 Brisbane Outbreak - Level 2 Protocols Activated

    30th March 2021

    Amid Queensland's COVID-19 outbreak, restrictions have again been placed on NRL players and officials. All players were on Tuesday ordered into level-two protocols, which included wearing masks indoors when they could not socially distance and temperature checks at grounds and training. Public transport is off limits again, while players and key staff have been told they should only catch taxis or ride-share services when there is no alternative. Meanwhile, Brisbane's growing coronavirus cases forced other ramifications across the NRL on Tuesday. Canterbury players and officials have been placed into a bubble and are on stay-at-home orders, only able to leave their house to train and play after being in Brisbane last weekend.

    NRL 2021 COVID-19 Brisbane Outbreak - Queensland Round 4 Matches Relocated

    31st March 2021

    Saturday’s NRL Telstra Premiership Matches scheduled to be played in southeast Queensland will be relocated to Netstrata Jubilee Stadium in Sydney on a risk-based approach to ensuring continuity in the competition. The relocations are:

  • Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks v North Queensland Cowboys will be transferred from Sunshine Coast Stadium to Netstrata Jubilee Stadium
  • Gold Coast Titans v Canberra Raiders will be transferred from Cbus Super Stadium to Netstrata Jubilee Stadium
  • The Titans will relocate to Sydney this afternoon and remain in Sydney until the NRL’s health experts are comfortable the risk of infection on the Gold Coast has subsided
  • The Cowboys will remain based in Townsville
  • Friday night’s match between the Melbourne Storm and the Brisbane Broncos will proceed as scheduled at AAMI Park in Melbourne after the Victorian Government provided approval.

    The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs have also been forced to move their Round Five match versus the Melbourne Storm from HBF Park in Perth to Stadium Australia, after COVID related issues around travel meant that the fixture could not be guaranteed to go ahead.

    NRL Chief Executive Andrew Abdo said the relocation ensured there was no risk to Premiership games proceeding this weekend. "Our priority is ensuring all matches proceed this weekend. While the infection rates in southeast Queensland are positive today, the risk of further outbreaks emerging between now and Saturday exists," he said. "By confirming the relocation of games today all clubs, players and fans have certainty to plan for the weekend’s fixtures and as a game we eliminate the risk around whether those matches will take place. I want to thank all clubs who are making sacrifices for the greater good of our game. These are difficult decisions to make but decisions that ensure our competition continues this weekend without interruption. I also want to acknowledge our fans. I know fans on the Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast were looking forward to going to these games. We were particularly excited to be taking a game to the Sunshine Coast. However our priority must be ensuring we can complete Round 4 without risk of losing matches."

    NRL 2021 COVID-19 Brisbane Outbreak - Australian Schools Championship Cancelled

    3rd April 2021

    On 9 March 2021, the Board for School Sport Australia met to review the 2021 national sporting championship program. The Board determined that due to the ongoing volatility of COVID-19 and the complexity that this may cause for teams travelling interstate, all planned 2021 national events are now cancelled. As a result, the ASSRL Council with the support of the National Rugby League (NRL), has made the decision to cancel the 2021 joint National Championships for 15 and 18 Years Rugby League that were to be held at Redcliffe, Queensland from July 1 2021. State School Rugby League organisations will continue with all planned district, regional and state competitions in 2021. The ASSRL will endeavour to provide a representative pathway for the 18 Years age-group in 2021 through the selection of an Australian Schoolboys team from state championships in New South Wales, Queensland and in the Combined Affiliated States. The ASSRL would like to acknowledge the support of Moreton Bay Regional Council, Redcliffe Dolphins Rugby League, Queensland School Sport Rugby League 13-18 Years, Redcliffe State High School and the NRL for their significant work towards hosting the championships.


    © 2021 SSR Almanac / HOME / RETURN